Saturday, May 16, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: The Plain Janes by Cecil Castellucci and Jim Rugg



Title: The Plain Janes

Series: Janes (# 1)


Authors: Cecil Castellucci and Jim Rugg

Publish Date: May 2, 2007

Genre: Graphic Novel

Why I Read this Book: I read this book during Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon. I found this graphic novel at my local library.


 



About Book 1 (from Goodreads):  



Noted young adult novelist Cecil Castellucci and artist Jim Rugg launch Minx with the Plain Janes, a story about four girls named Jane. When transfer student Jane is forced to move from the confines of Metro City to Suburbia, she thinks her life is over. But there is the lunch room at the reject table she finds her tribe: three other girls named Jane. Main Jane encourages them to form a secret art gang and paint the town P.L.A.I.N. - People Loving Art In Neighborhoods. But can art attacks really save the hell that is high school?

Review


This was not my favorite graphic novel. On the positive note, I loved the illustrations and the overall concept. This graphic novel started out with a lot of potential, but I thought that it fell flat. There was no resolution to the plot at the end of the first graphic novel in this series. I did not enjoy the ending of it at all. I was enjoying the side plot in which the main character was in the city when there was a terrorist attack and a man that was near her when the attack took place went into a coma, but I did not enjoy the resolution of this plot line.

I do plan to continue the series in the hopes that the plot line will be more resolved.

Final Statements


Recommended Reading Age: any

Overall Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment