Saturday, May 9, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: Amulet (Vol. 1) by Kazu Kibuishi



Title: The Stone Keeper

Series: Amulet (Vol. 1)


Authors: Kazu Kibuishi 

Publish Date: January 1, 2008

Genre: Graphic Novel, Fantasy

Why I Read this Book: I read this book during Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon. I found this graphic novel at my local library and loved the cover.


 

 

About Book 1 (from Goodreads):  



Graphic novel star Kazu Kibuishi creates a world of terrible, man-eating demons, a mechanical rabbit, a giant robot---and two ordinary children on a life-or-death mission.

After the tragic death of their father, Emily and Navin move with their mother to the home of her deceased great-grandfather, but the strange house proves to be dangerous. Before long, a sinister creature lures the kids' mom through a door in the basement. Em and Navin, desperate not to lose her, follow her into an underground world inhabited by demons, robots, and talking animals.

Eventually, they enlist the help of a small mechanical rabbit named Miskit. Together with Miskit, they face the most terrifying monster of all, and Em finally has the chance to save someone she loves.

Review


The first thing that caught my eye about this book was the cover. I found the cover beautiful and intriguing. I immediately had high expectations from this book and I was not disappointed.

At first, I thought is strange that one of the main characters in a somewhat scary and extremely action packed graphic novel was a cute pink and white rabbit, but I fell in love with all of the characters in this book. They are all incredibly unique and quirky.

My favorite part of the first volume of this series was the action and the plot twists. I was held of the edge of my seat until the very last page. I cannot wait to read the rest of this amazing graphic novel series.

Final Statements


Recommended Reading Age: 10+ for intense action scenes

Overall Rating: 5/5

1 comment:

  1. Opening with a lengthy scene of trauma, as the dad is stuck in the car, teetering on a cliff. We can feel the stress and pain, as, yes, he falls to his death, leaving his family behind. Trauma.

    Does it not seem that all magical books start with trauma? There is a reason for that.

    Just before Emily finds the amulet, she pricks her finger, shedding blood on the ancient wood furniture where the amulet is found. Shedding of blood. Why?

    The amulet speaks, and is obviously inhabited by another being, a spirit. Emily learns to use this "power" for good. But sometimes it might be for evil. It's hard to distinguish at times.

    There is possession. And spirits. And monsters.

    My son brought this home, and my wife's and my discernment meters went off. After reading it, we knew why.

    We open doors to dark powers when trauma wounds our soul, and we don't allow the Creator to heal us. Those powers come as angels of light, seducing spirits, who tell us they want to help us. Then they become a Pokemon, or a Wing, or a Pet, or a Spirit Guide.

    Exercise discernment. Leave this book at the library.

    0/5

    ReplyDelete