Thursday, October 16, 2014

Book Recommendations for Readathons

In honor of Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon this weekend, this post is all about book recommendations that are perfect for read-a-thons.  I have not participated in a 24 hour read-a-thon before, but I have participated in several week (or longer) read-a-thons.

All of the graphic novels based on Ted Dekker books are amazing!  I gave an average of 4.3 to the The Circle graphic novel series (3 volumes) and an average of 4.25 to The Lost Books graphic novel series (4 volumes).  They are all very fast paced Christian fantasy/scifi novels.  Although they are Christian novels, these would be great for fantasy lovers also.

If you love children's fiction, you should check out the Eve Hallows series!  I gave 5 stars to all of these books!  They are a fun addition to your Halloween reads.  Eve has lived in Gravesville (with all the monsters) but has to move to the human world as part of her parent's job relocation and she is not happy.  She has to find a way to adjust to the happiness of the human world and the unusual behaviors that they have.
If you love YA contemporary novels, you should check out Appaloosa Summer.  I gave this book a 5/5 stars.  This was the cutest novel that I have read is a while.  The main character is Meg who is 16 and loves riding horses.  Her horse dies during a show and she has to learn how to deal with the grief.  She tries to escape her grief by working at a B&B over the summer where she meets Jared Strickland who is also grieving from the loss of his father.
A Ripple Effect Romance novella series would be a great choice if you love clean adult romance novels!  Although they can be a little cheesy and predictable, all of these novellas left me with a warm fussy feeling.  They are also great because they are quick reads at around 100-150 pages each.  The first novella is currently free on Amazon and the complete series is $7.99 on Amazon (all e-books).  I gave this 6 book series an average of  4.5/5 stars.
If you are looking for a Christian fiction novel, I would recommend either of William Sirls novels,  The Reason or The Sinner's Garden.  They are both fast-paced and emotion-provoking.  I gave both of these stand-alones 5/5 stars.

Finally, if you enjoy YA paranormal with lots of action packed fighting, I would recommend The Unbounded series!  I have read the first book and I am in the middle of the second one.  I gave the first one 4/5 stars.  These are a little lengthly (over 300 pages) but well worth it!  It is a quick read due to how much action is in the series.

Are you signed up for Dewey's Read-a-Thon?  It is next Saturday (Oct. 18), so there is still plenty of time to sign-up! If you are not signed up and wish to do so, visit the reader's sign-up page. If you are signed up for the read-a-thon, what are your goals?  I would love to hear about your read-a-thon progress during and after the read-a-thon!






No comments:

Post a Comment