Thursday, September 11, 2014

Thursday Tags: Ultimate Book Tag

I saw this tag at The Book Babe's Reads.  This tag was created by Megan on Goodreads!

Questions:
1. Do you get sick while reading in the car?

No, I actually really enjoy reading in the car.

2. Which author's writing style is completely unique to you and why?

Ted Dekker's writing style is completely different than a lot of other fantasy and Christian fiction authors that I have read.  First off, numerous books written by Dekker are tied together eventually (see the picture below).  Minor characters in one series become major characters in another series.  Four series and five standalones that he has written before are tied together.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Dekker

Furthermore, he is incredible at adding suspense in books.  It does not take me long to finish one of his books because they are so action packed and suspenseful.


3. Harry Potter Series or the Twilight Saga? Give 3 points to defend your answer.
If you have read my blog before, you probably know my answer.  Harry potter is one of my favorite series.  I am currently re-reading this series.  One of my favorite things about J.K. Rowling's writing style is that she almost never includes anything insignificant in her books; everything has a meaning.  For instance the notebook in the Chamber of Secrets was mentioned in later books and had a significant purpose.  I will not mention the purpose because I want to keep this discussion spoiler-free.  Another reason that I enjoy the Harry Potter series so much is that Rowling is inovative.  She created a whole new sport, granted it is the combination of a gazillion other sports.  She invented the idea of a horcrux.  She created so many other things in that series also.  Finally, most characters in the Harry Potter series I loved or loved to hate.  None of the characters drove me nuts like they did in the Twilight series.  Bella was incredibly annoying!


4. Do you carry a book bag? If so, what is it in (besides books...)?
I am in college and so a book bag is a necesity.  I not only have the books for class, but also leisure books.  I usually have my kindle, an umbrella, and school supplies (like pencils and pens).

5. Do you smell your books?
Yes! I love the smell of new books.

6. Books with or without little illustrations?
I love both.  As you probably know, I am a huge fan of graphic novels.

7. What book did you love while reading but discovered later it wasn't quality writing? (Ex. I read Twilight before I read HP and thought the writing was amazing but read HP and now think Twilight is a little bit of a joke.)

I am not enjoying the Harry Potter series as much as I did the first time I read it.  I still love the series, but I am finding that the writing style in the earlier books in the series is a bit simple, but I think that is because I am reading the series at an older age.

8. Do you have any funny stories involving books from your childhood? Please share!
Not that I can think of...

9. What is the thinnest book on your shelf?

 
Hide and Watch by Jill Hicks Lawson is the thinniest book on my shelf with 76 pages. 












10. What is the thickest book on your shelf?
A compilation of the Circle series (Books 0-3) by Ted Dekker is the thickest book on my shelf at 1600 pages.


 











11. Do you write as well as read? Do you see yourself in the future as being an author?
I am writing a Christian fiction novel and a Christian fantasy novel, but I have not written much of either of them just yet.

12. When did you get into reading?
I have loved reading for as long as I can remember.

13. What is your favorite classic book?

1984 by George Orwell is probably my favorite classic.

 











14. In school was your best subject Language Arts/English?
No, my best subject was math.

15. If you were given a book as a present that you had read before and hated...what would you do?
I would keep it and try to read it again.  Maybe I would have a different perspective this time.

16. What is a lesser known series that you know of that is similar to Harry Potter or the Hunger Games?
The Stones of Power by Eric Buffington is similar.  I have only read the first book, The Exile.

 











17. What is a bad habit you always do (besides rambling) while blogging?
Procrastinate...

18. What is your favorite word?

God

19. Are you a nerd, dork, or dweeb? Or all of the above?

Book nerd and video game geek :D

20. Vampires or Fairies? Why?

Fairies are less gory :)

21. Shapeshifters or Angels? Why?

I would have to pick angels.  I just read a cool book about angels called Amity of the Angelmen by T.C. Slonaker. (Review coming soon).

 










22. Spirits or Werewolves? Why?
I do not really read books with either.

23. Zombies or Vampires?
I do not really read books with either.

24. Love Triangle or Forbidden Love
Love triangle!

25. AND FINALLY: Full on romance books or action-packed with a few love scenes mixed in?

Action with some clean romance 

No comments:

Post a Comment