Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

General Analysis

Book Title: The Uglies

Author: Scott Westerfeld

Publish Date:  February 8, 2005

Genre: Young Adult Dystopia
  
Plot:   In a society that makes you get a surgery that makes you “pretty” when you turn sixteen, Tally Youngblood is really excited about her 16th birthday.  Until you have this surgery, you are considered "Ugly".  It is a “perfect” plan that is intended to prevent people for judging others.  Just before she turns sixteen and after her friend Peris has had the surgery, Tally meets Shay, a girl that almost never lives by the rules of the government.  Will Shay convince Tally that it is not worth turning pretty and that it is better to run away in hopes of finding a secret society?

Overall Thoughts: This is the second time that I have read this book and I enjoyed it as much, if not more, than the first time that I read it.I really enjoyed the plot and the characters in this book.  I also really enjoy the writing style.

In Depth Analysis

To me, this book is a mix of YA contemporary and dystopia.  It is a classic dystopian in the sense that the story is set in a futuristic society that is supposedly better than societies of the past, but the society has flaws that the government is trying to hide.  It also has a very contemporary feel to it.  It has a substantial amount of romance and “girlyness” to it that just makes it feel very contemporary.  It is a great mix of both of these genres that would seem not to mix well with each other but go very well together in this book.

My favorite part of this series is the intricate plot that Westerfeld presents.  The plot is full of so many new concepts and plot twists that are relatable to the reader and this makes the story an exciting journey.  Everything in this book is unexpected.

My second favorite part about Uglies is how well developed each of the characters are.  The reader knows little about the characters when he or she begins the book, but the reader quickly falls in love with each of the characters.

Final Statements

Recommended Reading Age:  13+

Overall Rating: 5/5

Future Reviews and Reads

I am currently reading The Reason by William Sirls.  I received this in a giveaway as part of the GoodReads group, Christian Fiction Devourers.  It is a Christian Fiction novel.  I am thoroughly enjoying this book and hope to be finished with it before the end of the week.


I am also reading a devotional/inspirational type Christian book entitled A Woman’s Heart for God: Drawing Closer to the Lover of Your Soul by Sheila Cragg.  It is also very good and gives great tips on how to become closer to God.  I hope to be finished with this book by the end of the next week.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great one. My daughter and I will have to check into it. We both love books! Following you through bloglovin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete